Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Cancun

Rich and I decided earlier this year that we wanted to have a relaxing vacation this year at the beach. We arranged our layover to be in Dallas so we could to drop Robbie off with Grandma and Grandpa Muse for a week so the two of us could escape to Cancun. Even though we both missed Robbie terribly it was great to get away and spend some quality time together. Plus Robbie had a lot of fun with Grandma and Grandpa while we were gone. I though I would post a few pictures of our trip for those of you who have never seen Mexico. Rich is standing on the balcony outside connecting to our hotel room, the view was incredible from our room. Every morning I would get up and enjoy eating breakfast outside on the balcony listening to the waves.


The beach is so beautiful down there. It really looks just like the way it does in the magazine pictures. You know how sometimes you see advertisements and they look too good to be true. This is not the case with Cancun, the ocean really is two shades of crystal clear blue.

One night Rich and ate out at a Mexican restaurant that bordered the Lagoon. You can't see the Lagoon because, it was dark when we took the picture but it was sure fun drinking virgin Margaritas and being outside by all of the different boats.

One day Rich and I went snorkeling and while you are riding out to the coral reef you can have as many drinks as you want as part of the package deal. Anyway on the way back our Server guy had a little too much beer and started acting really goofy. He had everyone try on the Mexican hats while he took pictures. We were laughing so hard that he caught us with our cheezy grin. I really like the picture because it is one of the few pictures I have of Rich actually smiling.
I am preparing to jump in the freezing cold ocean to go on a snorkel run through the reef. I never knew that snorkeling could be so fun yet dangerous. Sometimes depending on how strong the under current is, it can be tough to keep up your stride and still see all the colorful fish.
The only bad thing about taking pictures at the beach is you never know what kind of wave might get you while you are not looking. Needless to say we got half drenched after this shot.
Along the beach you saw wooden lifeguard posts which I thought were kind of cool looking so I climbed up one.
We spent a day traveling on the local bus 4.5 hours one way to get to Chichen Itza. Once we got to the Mayan Ruins it was incredible to learn more about the Mayan civilization and how they developed astronomy and the calendars that we use today.

They also played this sport where 7 warriors on a team had to throw balls of their hips through these tiny hoop on the side of the building and whoever the judges selected as the champion was sacrificed to the gods. I won't go into all of the gory details but, that is one sport I definitely would want to loose at. I guess it was a honorable for the champion and his family, but that sounds morbid to me.
The Mayan Ruins were incredible. I can't believe how much of it is still standing after all of these years. I guess that is why it is considered one of the 7 wonders. I was glad that we went on this trip we had a blast together.

2 comments:

Amanda and Nick said...

This looks so fun! I need to do a vacation like this for me and Nick : ) You guys look so cute in all your pictures and I love the one with the hats ha ha. Nick is the same about smiling in pictures so I am glad to see it isn't just my husband!

k8e said...

Oh my gosh!! HOW FUN! I bet that warm weather was absolutely WONDERFUL! I so need a vacation like this!